Here is a picture of the original idea that I saw.
I liked the idea well enough but the thought of putting paper inside the jar made me really nervous. Also, the jar I wanted to use already had a candle in it and there was no room on the inside to fit paper in.
I followed the instructions as she had laid them out to start with. I cut a heart out in 2 pieces of paper taken from an old paperback novel.
This is the candle that I started with.
Since I wanted the paper to be on the outside of the jar, I decided to use Mod Podge to glue it down. I knew that it would be a heat resistant glue that would hold on even when the jar gets warm and I knew that it would act as a sealant over the top as well. I used "Paper Mod Podge" to attach the paper to the jar, on the back side and over the tops of the side edges.
(If you're not familiar with using Mod Podge, I suggest you go HERE to learn all about it!)
I then attached the 2nd piece of paper on the opposite side of the jar in the same manner.
I then flipped the jar over and used the Paper Mod Podge to create a ruffled look and glue the bottom edge down around the curve of the jar.
I then flipped it back upright and put a coat of "Sparkle Mod Podge" over the top of the entire thing. I left the top edge of the paper sticking up, not affixed down. I also used the rough edge of the paper (where it was torn out of the book) as the top edge of the paper.
Last, I took one of the hearts that had been cut out and used the Sparkle Mod Podge to affix it to the lid.
This is what it looked like when it was finished. All in all, I was pretty pleased.