I love to knit, crochet, sew, cook, paint, build things, grow things (plants and children alike), craft, stamp, write, photograph, and make music. (Along with a hundred other things...) This blog is inteded to chronicle my endeavors in living a handmade lifestyle.

Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Put A Little Heart Into It

I don't typically post twice in 1 day but I saw an idea on Pinterest this morning and I had to try it. It was quick, easy, and I had everything I needed on-hand. The original blog post can be found HERE and is a very cute idea! I did basically the same thing, but put my own little spin on it.

Here is a picture of the original idea that I saw.



I liked the idea well enough but the thought of putting paper inside the jar made me really nervous. Also, the jar I wanted to use already had a candle in it and there was no room on the inside to fit paper in.

I followed the instructions as she had laid them out to start with. I cut a heart out in 2 pieces of paper taken from an old paperback novel.

This is the candle that I started with.


Since I wanted the paper to be on the outside of the jar, I decided to use Mod Podge to glue it down. I knew that it would be a heat resistant glue that would hold on even when the jar gets warm and I knew that it would act as a sealant over the top as well. I used "Paper Mod Podge" to attach the paper to the jar, on the back side and over the tops of the side edges.

(If you're not familiar with using Mod Podge, I suggest you go HERE to learn all about it!)

I then attached the 2nd piece of paper on the opposite side of the jar in the same manner.

I then flipped the jar over and used the Paper Mod Podge to create a ruffled look and glue the bottom edge down around the curve of the jar.

I then flipped it back upright and put a coat of "Sparkle Mod Podge" over the top of the entire thing. I left the top edge of the paper sticking up, not affixed down. I also used the rough edge of the paper (where it was torn out of the book) as the top edge of the paper.

Last, I took one of the hearts that had been cut out and used the Sparkle Mod Podge to affix it to the lid.

This is what it looked like when it was finished. All in all, I was pretty pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Advice? Please feel free to share!