I love to knit, crochet, sew, cook, paint, build things, grow things (plants and children alike), craft, stamp, write, photograph, and make music. (Along with a hundred other things...) This blog is inteded to chronicle my endeavors in living a handmade lifestyle.

Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Project of Legacy

My grandmother passed away a little over 3 years ago. She was a multi-talented fiber artist. She knitted, crocheted, sewed, etc... She is the person who taught me to crochet when I was young. Over the years, I have been blessed to receive some articles she made; everything from baby dolls/baby doll clothes to pot holders and doilies. I love them all.

Recently, my grandfather passed away as well. As my dad and aunts were going through their estate, they came across a lot of different knit, crochet, and sewing supplies. As I am one of the few people in the family who crochet and sew, and, to my knowledge, the only one who knits, I was blessed to receive a lot of it. While the circumstances are not ideal, I feel very blessed to be able to continue creating gifts of love to be passed through my family and friends using the same hooks, needles, and yarn she used.

Among these items was a crocheted afghan that my grandmother had started but not been able to complete. My heart swelled when I saw this because it thrills me to be able to complete something that she started. There is plenty of yarn of the same dye lot to complete an adult sized afghan and the crochet hook she started it with was still inside the currently-being-used skein. However, there is no pattern. I am in need of help in this area. I might be able to decipher the pattern per row if I take the time to look it over well. And it very well may be a pattern she was improvising. However, I am going to post pics and, if anyone out there can identify it and has the pattern, I would greatly appreciate having it so I can complete this project. I would love to have something that my grandmother and I both worked on to pass down to my children. Thanks for taking the time to take a look and hopefully I can get this sorted out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Advice? Please feel free to share!