I love to knit, crochet, sew, cook, paint, build things, grow things (plants and children alike), craft, stamp, write, photograph, and make music. (Along with a hundred other things...) This blog is inteded to chronicle my endeavors in living a handmade lifestyle.

Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Burried Treasure

When my grandfather passed away about a year ago, I inherited some of his and my grandmother's things that were dear to me and/or that my family thought I should have. One such item was a tub filled with what was described to me as my grandmother's fabric stash. She was a seamstress as well as a needle crafter and she had stuff stashed everywhere.

This week I finally got around to going through the fabric stash and was surprised to find that it not only contained unused fabric (which will certainly be put to good use), but also unfinished projects!

I was so excited to find them. Among some of the projects were 2 unfinished dresses. Well, I actually think my grandmother was intending for them to be nightgowns. But, times have changed and I think they would actually make very cute, and somewhat retro sundresses.

I am not a seamstress. My sewing skills (by hand or with a machine) are very basic. But my mother-in-law is a very accomplished seamstress and so I am calling on her to help me get these 2 projects completed. Well, at least 1 of them anyway. One of the gowns in done with the exception of needing the straps sewn on, which I think I can handle.



The other needs a bit more work. The bodice is finished and the slip is attatched but the overskirt still needs to be attatched and I am not confident in my ability to complete that talk alone. So I am going to be using the oppertunity to get a sewing lesson from m mother-in-law whilst also finishing something that my grandmother started. Both thoughts leave me elated.




I don't know how quickly I'll be getting them completed since my schedule and hers are both pretty crazy right now. But hopefully it will get done in the next couple of months. I'll post the completed poduct once we're done!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Advice? Please feel free to share!